The Miracle League was formed to provide opportunities for all children and young adults to play baseball regardless of their ability. Players dress in uniforms, make plays in the field, and round the bases just like their healthy peers. While the rules are slightly different, the game is enjoyed by players and spectators alike. The Miracle League Rules promote safe participation for all:
• Every player bats once each inning
• All base runners are called “safe” by our umpires
• Every player scores a run before the inning is over (last one up gets a home run)
• Community children and volunteers serve as ‘buddies’ to assist the players
• Each team and each player wins every game
The main concern for children with disabilities playing mainstream baseball is that teams play on grass/dirt fields, presenting potential safety hazards for players in wheelchairs or walkers. The Miracle League of Joliet constructed a custom-designed rubberized turf field to eliminate obstacles for our players. All players can now round the bases and play in the field without fear of injury.